Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Smell of Oranges


The Smell of Oranges
for Steve Kowit
1938-2015


In the middle of the afternoon
on April 8 while I was watching
a movie on tv, the room was filled
with the smell of oranges.

I was the only one home
and there were no oranges in the house
but the scent was so strong
I turned my head
and stood up.

and thought of Steve Kowit
who died on April 1
the first day of National Poetry
Month as well as April Fools Day
my poetry professor

and I even said in a whisper
"Is that you, Steve"
although I don't believe in those visits
and have never had any before
not even when my father died.

I sat back down and closed my eyes.
The smell lingered, and I breathed it in
in long slow breaths. After awhile it dissipated.
I stayed seated for a long time after it was gone
trying to figure it out.

I'm several poems behind on my April
Poetry Blog and am hoping he will help
me catch up. This is a start. I don't know
where he actually is, but I'm up for oranges
in my living room. God, I'm missing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment